Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Story Characters from AG...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Since I started my new job in September (which I love) as the school librarian, I am planning on incorporating AG into the library with mini-displays.

    I figure I'd have a display with Addy around Black History Month with all her books highlighted. I also figure that if I ever do get either Josefina, I can have her set up around Hispanic Heritage Month, and Kaya in November when I read Native American stories/legends.

    Is there any other ideas that anyone has with incorporating AG into book displays. Even if they are non-AG characters, such as turning one into Alice in Wonderland, etc.

    Please! I'd love some ideas!

    -Jordyn

  2. #2
    Inactive Member agmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2006
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love your ideas so far! I think it will lots of fun and the kids will really enjoy seeing the displays.

    I know some board members have turned their AG dolls into the Little House on the Praire characters (Laura, Mary and Carrie) and Nancy Drew. I'm sure there are more but I can't remember right now.

    I don't have any new ideas for you but I think what you are doing is awesome! Good luck and let us know when you do your first display! Take pics too! [img]graemlins/camera.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Polly Marie
    Guest Polly Marie's Avatar

    Post

    Seems like a very enjoyable task setting up the library displays! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    So the boys won't feel left out, you might want to get some 18" boy dolls such as the boy Battat dolls or make some boys out of girl dolls.
    Kirsten would be great depicting the tradition of St. Lucia. From AG website:
    "In Sweden, on the darkest day of the year, the oldest daughter in a family dresses up as the Saint Lucia girl. She wears a beautiful white gown with a red sash and a wreath of glowing candles to symbolize the coming of brighter days. On Saint Lucia Day she wakes her family before daylight and takes them coffee and sweet buns."

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It is also only for the kindergarten, first and second graders. The boys in the class, since they are still young, love anything-I have a bunch of stuffed animals that join us in class.

    -Jordyn

  5. #5
    Inactive Member vew-tori's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How about Molly around Vetran's Day or Memorial Day?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oops. I was just going to suggest using Sam and Nellie to portray Sara Crewe (The Little Princess) and Becky. Kirsten would also be great with The Golden Name Day, if you have that in your library. That's a terrific story with lots of Swedish customs.

    I'm afraid all I remember of those early years was See Spot Run and Dr. Seuss.

  7. #7
    Polly Marie
    Guest Polly Marie's Avatar

    Post

    Forget the St. Lucia candles on the head if the displays are for K-2nd grades! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
    An interesting and cute age group to teach. There are so many interesting picture books for this age group. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    I can see Kirsten in "Blueberries for Sal". [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member geneobug's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2005
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My DGD's library has a permanent display of 5 of the Historicals with their school desks. It stays up year round. You might try something like that with one or two for the beginning of school. They are all in their school outfits. I bet the lunches would be interesting to add too if that is possible.

    Brenda

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great ideas!

    Now I just need to find/commission costumes for them to be characters in it [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I work in two elem. school libraries. I have 6 classes a day. The nice thing about BOTH the libraries, is that they allow many items that have been banned in other schools. (Harry Potter, Judy Blume, Briar Rose, among others.)

    I love Kirsten as Blueberries for Sal-I can see her in her summer dress with a metal tin bucket and some "blueberries" (blue pom poms)Addy's tin pail lunch would be perfect for it...at least the pail!

    -Jordyn

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 25, 2006 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Starearedkid ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The older kids do come in the library, so I figure a display of the books (I read a Little Princess when I was 6) plus the doll would work ontop of a bookshelf.

    -Jordyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •